The laboratory has contemporary diagnostic equipment that allows for precise microbiological diagnostics. We use high quality diagnosticum and consumables approved by practicians. We apply classical methods for isolating and detecting bacteria – culture, microscopy, etc. – as well as automatized methods for genus identification and determining antibiotic sensitivity. Our laboratory is part of the system for external quality audit of diagnostic activity held by the Bulgarian National Center of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, and is therefore certified twice a year.
The laboratory uses an Erba Mannheim automated system for identifying microorganisms and determining their antibiotic sensitivity and minimum inhibitory concentration. We also have a automated system for the study of blood cultures.
The Microbiology laboratory performs the following microbiology studies:
- microbiology study for isolating an etiologic agent from the cardiovascular system: blood culture, cardiac valve, vascular prostheses, intravascular catheters, etc.;
- respiratory system: throat secretion, nasal secretion, sputum, tracheal aspirate, bronchoalveolar lavage, etc.;
- urogenital system: bladder urine, catheter urine, puncture urine, vaginal discharge, cervical mucus, urethral secretion, etc.
- skin and hypodermis: wound drainage, surgical wound drainage, fistula drainage, other wound material;
- punctures: pleural drain, thoracic drain, other drainages, pleural puncture, pericardial puncture, abscess puncture, other punctures and other materials: cerebrospinal fluid, other secretions (ocular, auditory, mouth cavity, skin, etc.)
Determining the antibiotic sensitivity of fast-growing microorganisms using the disk diffusion method and determining the minimum inhibitory concentration concerning certain antibiotics.
Identification of clinically important fungus that can cause mucocutaneous and systemic infections, based on their microscopic morphology and biochemical identification, determination of antifungal sensitivity.
Detection of difficult to cultivate microorganisms and the diseases they cause:
- anaerobic infections, haemophilus infections, meningococcus infections.
In order to prevent intrahospital infections the laboratory also performs sanitary microbiological tests of materials from the hospital environment, medical equipment and medical personnel.
Serologic diagnostics includesL AST, RF, syphilis testes – RPR.